Iran welcomes halt to Saudi airstrikes on Yemen
Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:19PM
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham
Iran has welcomed Saudi Arabia’s halt to its aerial campaign against Yemen, expressing hope that national dialog among Yemeni parities would resume.
“Undoubtedly… a halt to the killing of innocent and defenseless people is a step forward," Iranian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham said on Tuesday night.
“We had previously announced that the crisis in Yemen has no military solution,” she stated.
The Iranian official expressed hope that measures required for the dispatch of humanitarian aid would be undertaken as soon as possible and negotiations be resumed among all Yemeni parties and groups towards the creation of an inclusive government.
Afkham also said she hoped that all parties contribute to the betterment of the situation.
The Iranian official made the remarks shortly after Riyadh declared the end of Decisive Storm operation against Yemen and announced the beginning of a new phase dubbed Operation Restoring Hope.
Saudi Arabia has “ended Operation Decisive Storm based on a request by the Yemeni government” and fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, said Saudi government spokesman Brigadier General Ahmed al-Assiri on a televised broadcast.
He added that the Saudi naval blockade on Yemen would stay in place and the Saudi forces would continue targeting the Ansarullah movement's Houthi fighters.
According to a Saudi military statement, the next phase of the operations - which would be aimed at commencing political talks and delivering aid, and a mixture of political, diplomatic and military efforts - will start on Wednesday.A Yemeni man walks past a vehicle, which was damaged the day before during a Saudi airstrike on the nearby base on the Fajj Attan hill on April 21, 2015, in the capital Sana’a. (AFP photo)
Another statement by the Saudi Defense Ministry said that the Saudi airstrikes has destroyed “heavy weaponry and ballistic missiles which were seized by the Houthi militia and forces allied to (former president) Ali Abduallh Saleh from army bases and camps."
The airstrikes has successfully removed “threats to Saudi Arabia's security and that of neighboring countries," the statement added.
Saudi Arabia started its military aggression against Yemen on March 26 -- without a UN mandate -- in a bid to restore power to Hadi, who is a close ally of Riyadh.
According to reports, about 2,800 people have been killed during the aggression.